Wednesday, November 29, 2006

8 Smart Moves to Make Before 2007

The new year is fastly approaching and as a newly employed career woman, I am trying to do all that I can to maximize my money. CNN Money has a great article " 8 Smart Moves to Make by year end" to help individuals like me. Below are what they list as well as my comments.
1. Take your losses ( investments): I have very few investments personally. I have a couple strong savings accounts ( PNC and ING), plus a mutual fund I opened when I was in high school. So I think, I will stay put in this category.
2. Buy some aspirin ( flex spending accounts): So, I just began working about six months ago in what I like to say is my " career" job. I didn't know about this wonderful thing called a " flexible saving account." But, now that I know what it is I opened one up for $300 dollars for the coming 2007 year. I am still holding off on getting the laser eye surgery; still seems kinda sketchy to me.
3. Be generous ( charity): Along with tithing to my church, I also sponser a World Vision child and give to a couple local charities. I also discovered by donating items to the Goodwill or Salvation Army, you can claim a deductible on your taxes. So " Give, people, give."
4. Get IRA smart ( retirement): Like I said, I just started working, however even at 24 I understand the importance of saving for retirement. I have already started investing 6% of my earning into my company's 403 (b). So between saving up for a house and trying to pay back one of my loans ( in full) by the end of the summer, I don't have much extra money to play with. However, I do have a little extra money coming in this month that I will put towards opening a Roth IRA.
5. Set your sights early ( saving): Save, save, save. I tell my baby sister who is 17 to start saving now. My savings have REALLY helped me out of a situation or two while I was in college. Especially since she is still in high school and living at home. Once she gets out in the real world in a few months, she will realize that BILLS and RENT are no joke!
6. Make some adjustments ( Taxes): Yeah, this is something I am going to look into...
7. Play catch-up ( retirement): Check!
8. Have the talk ( family planning): Um...yeah. Me and Mister aren't there yet. I ain't trying to have anybody's babies anytime soon! Thank God for birth control!

No comments: